Friday, December 2, 2011

Understanding the Mechanics of the Piano Action and what to do when it fails

As a practicing Piano Technician servicing several thousand pianos every year, my customers are always fascinated by the mechanical working of their instrument. I will attempt to demystify this instrument and offer my suggestions for maintenance and repair.

I particularly think you will find useful a common sense approach to your home instrument and potential repairs or adjustments. Often a simple adjustment can cost you hundreds of dollars. If you feel you have the mechanical aptitude and understanding to proceed with simple adjustments you could save hundreds of dollars.

For those who are not within my geographic area, this will be a useful tool to determine whether you have a technician attempting to perform service that may be unnecessary or being done improperly. I will forewarn you, I approach adjustments and repairs with the intent of making the instrument as perfect as possible in the least possible time. Why do I service in this manner? Because it saves you money.

Approximately once a week I will address the most common issue I see among my weekly appointments. If you have a specific question regarding your specific instrument feel free to post a question and I will attempt to inform you of the method I would use to resolve the problem you are experiencing.

I hope you find this information educational and increase your understanding of this excellent machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment